Nursery and Reception are the first steps into the world of education and is often a child’s first venture alone into the larger world outside the family home. What children experience and learn in the foundation stage creates strong and lasting foundations on which they can build throughout their life. So, we believe it is essential that the experiences are of the highest quality.
Our Learning Environment
Play and exploration is fundamental to our Nursery and Reception. It means that the children are able to choose activities where they can engage with other children, adults or sometimes play alone. During these activities, the children will learn by first-hand experiences; by actively ‘doing’ as well as through scaffolding and modelling by adults. There will be a wide variety of planned and prepared activities by the adults, as well as allowing time for the children to initiate their own learning. Activities will be planned through discussion with the children around their current interests, as well as taking into account their learning styles and stages of development. We have a fantastic outdoor area that the children can learn in whatever the weather. The children are encouraged to develop their self-confidence, resilience to learning and independence throughout the school year.
Parents as Partners
We believe in having a strong partnership with parents and carers. Together we can help your child to become a happy, successful and confident learner.
You can help your child by:
- Enjoying books and stories with them
- Encouraging them to write for different purposes e.g. shopping lists and birthday cards.
- Providing opportunities for counting and looking out for numbers within their environment
- Regulary talking to them about starting Reception or Year 1 and what to expect
- Encouraging independence in eating lunch, getting dressed and looking after their belongings
The Early Years Foundation Stage
In our Foundation Stage we use ‘The Revised Early Years Foundation Stage’ for planning and assessment which is followed in all early years settings. During their time with us, the children will be gaining an understanding of the Early Learning Goals across the seven areas of learning. These seven areas are as follows:
PSED - Personal, social, emotional development (developing self-confidence and self-awareness, making relationships as well as managing behaviour and feelings).
- CL - Communication and Language (speaking, listening and understanding)
- PD - Physical development (moving and handling as well as health and self-care)
- LIT - Literacy (reading and writing)
- MATHS - Mathematics (numbers, shape, space and measures)
- UW - Understanding the World (people and communities, the world and technology)
- EAD - Expressive Arts and Design (exploring and using media and materials as well as being imaginative!)